NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vaccines and anti-vaxxers

+15
Wondering
reboot
Gentleman Johnny
Caffeinated
caliseivy
Archetype694
skullbearer
Prajnaparamita
nearly_takuan
The Wisp
waxingjaney
KMR
UristMcBunny
reboundstudent
WJMorris3
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Vaccines and anti-vaxxers - Page 3 Empty Re: Vaccines and anti-vaxxers

Post by Wondering Fri May 08, 2015 3:48 pm

More reasons to get your kids their MMR vaccines. New evidence points to measles erasing your immune system's "memory" for up to a year prior to when measles was contracted. Got chicken pox less than a year before getting measles? Your immune system might no longer "remember" its chicken pox immunity.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2015/05/07/404963436/scientists-crack-a-50-year-old-mystery-about-the-measles-vaccine?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150508

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri May 08, 2015 4:05 pm

Got vaccinated/boosted for polio, typhoid, Hep A, and meningitis yesterday. I'm definitely going to become autistic now, right? Or I've got a government tracking chip in my blood? Or whatever else vaccines are supposed to do to me? Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri May 08, 2015 4:28 pm

Werel wrote:Got vaccinated/boosted for polio, typhoid, Hep A, and meningitis yesterday. I'm definitely going to become autistic now, right? Or I've got a government tracking chip in my blood? Or whatever else vaccines are supposed to do to me? Razz

*sigh* I got something done a few years ago when I got my physical, but definitely don't remember what it was now. Which means I'll have to take time out of work to go to that office and have my medical records released
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:18 pm

First measles death in the US since 2003. Way to go, anti-vaxxers!

A woman with a compromised immune system, due to medications she was taking for another condition, was at a clinic where someone with measles had been. She died of pneumonia caused by measles. She was in her 20s.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/undetected-measles-led-to-womans-death/

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this in this thread, but vaccinations are now mandatory in California for kids who's parents want them to go to public schools.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/30/health/california-vaccine-bill/

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Mandatory except for legitimate health exceptions. Yes! I did read that. Yay, California!

Hoping that logic can move on up the coast. Pronto.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:19 pm

Apparently one of the four toddlers in my niece's room at daycare is unvaccinated. Now she gets to move from one $900 a month place, where she's been for the last year and a half, to one that's even more expensive and 15 minutes further away.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Ugh. I wish more day cares would require vaccinations. Most of them are private, so I assume they can make those sorts of rules if they want.

I'm sorry you have someone like that in your area. I thought this was something more confined to the liberal, urban areas of the Left Coast. Sad

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 pm

My sister and her family do actually live in a liberal, urban area, if not a coastal one. But, yeah, it's there too. Though there's resistance to it. Her pediatrician doesn't treat unvaccinated patients unless they're too young for the vaccination or have a medical reason not to have it.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Ah, gotcha. I wish our pediatrician would do that.

Counting down two weeks until MRR vaccine for us!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Hey, all. So, we're coming up on the baby's 1-year check up and the MMR vaccine.

And I admit, the anti-vaxxers are getting to me. Not in any way that we're not going to get her her vaccines. No way. But I'm starting to freak the fuck out that she's going to be the percentage that gets brain damage from it.

My post-partum anxiety is clearly playing a role here (boy, will I ever be happy when my hormones normalize again), but can you talk me down from my freak out at all? Loopy

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:41 pm

So the CDC doesn't mention brain damage at all and WebMD has a one in a million risk of Encephalitis which seems like pretty good odds to me.

Even assuming your kid is one in a million (not sure how someone found statistically significant data with no confounding factors and such a low occurrence rate, probably why the cdc didn't mention it), encephalitis often causes only minor flu-like symptoms .

My allergy experience (if it helps):
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks, readertorider! That actually helps a lot.

Especially the info on your reactions. Much appreciated!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Did you know that while the TDAP shot is generally considered effective for 10 years, doctors recommend you get a booster for the tetanus part of it if you were vaccinated more than 5 years ago and have a puncture wound? I didn't know that before, but I know it now! Yay! (Thanks, Cat. If nothing else, you're a learning experience.)
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:52 pm

I did! Courtesy of me stumbling in the back yard one day, cutting my hand in three places, and leaving a trail of blood through the house. Easter 1986 was a memorable day.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:00 am

Apparently even Ben Carson - a pediatric surgeon! - is willing to endorse a delayed vaccine schedule if it means he doesn't have to tangle with Donald Trump.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:01 am

:shout:

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:08 am

eselle28 wrote:Apparently even Ben Carson - a pediatric surgeon! - is willing to endorse a delayed vaccine schedule if it means he doesn't have to tangle with Donald Trump.

A present for both of them:

Vaccines and anti-vaxxers - Page 3 Giphy
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Shut UP, anti-vaxxers!

Someone asked on one of the Type 1 pregnancy groups I'm in if the rest of us got the Tdap while pregant. Fortunately, most women responded Yes! But there are the anti-vaxxers. And they're are stupidly dangerous.

Some select posts:
Nope, though we don't get any our family is antivax though but i know a lot of people do though I don't allow my son around anyone who has due to it being a live virus in the vaccine and the few I know of who have gotten whooping cough were ones who got the vaccine for it
Right, okay. Your writing style really makes me trust your intelligent assessment of the facts. Uh-oh

No and neither did my son. He is up to date on most vaccines but studies have shown that up to 88% of children diagnosed with whooping cough have been vaccinated for it. We didn't start vaccinations until 1 year old and this was one we opted out of all together.
Really? What studies are those? Suspect

Haven't had but one dose of it in my lifetime that was back in 1983 and that was the old version back then. No boosters since then and having my second kid in a week, still don't plan on getting it. If my body is already dealing with diabetes then I for sure not about to add more toxins to my immune system and cause more issues. I never had a flu shot my whole life and never had the flu. It's my body and if someone told me to get a vaccine to be around their baby. Well I respect their wishes and all and just won't be around them then in that case. But truth be told if your taking your baby out in public they will be exposed to all sorts of germs and herd immunity doesn't exist at all..I know many adults like myself who don't get boosters or up to date. On top of that I also know many who got whopping cough and we're fully vaxxed do that tells me it's not 100 percent protection. Most of the outbreaks I have read about with whooping cough have been in children fully vaxxed and up to date on their shots. The cdc has even said its not very effective as they have hoped and their talking already about adding another booster shot to the schedule we already have. Just my thoughts is all but you do what you think is best..
Just your super dangerous, falsity spreading thoughts! Herd immunity is why all this matters. Your body is less able to fight diseases because it's got a compromised immune system from Type 1 diabetes. Your sample size of one is phenomenal evidence!
:shout:

Gah. I'm just so angry that these people aren't shunned. And posting quotes and smilies is about all I can do about it.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:44 am

I just want to dump all of them in a place where vaccinations are not routine a d 1 of every 1000 kids die from measles and, of those that live, 1 out of every 300 have lifelong neurologic sequelae

And that is just measles. I am not even talking mumps, diphtheria, rubella, or pertussis
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:55 am

I'd like to introduce them to my mother's friend, who had rubella when she was pregnant. (Spoiler: she has kids, but they were born quite a bit after she had that pregnancy.) Part of what I find frustrating about anti-vaxxers is that most of the vaccinations being boycotted are for diseases that made life miserable for people who are really accessible and often willing to talk about it. It's not all that hard to find couples who couldn't have children because the husband had mumps or people who have a sibling they don't mention much because they died of whooping cough as a child or whose parents lined up to get them vaccinated for polio. Like, these are not all people who are 90. Some of them are 65.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:14 pm

I am not immune to rubella. I've had my MMR and all boosters, but I'm one of the people the vaccine doesn't work for. I was terrified throughout my pregnancy of getting it, especially because I live in a high anti-vax area. Group immunity is all that protected me.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:06 pm

eselle28 wrote:I'd like to introduce them to my mother's friend, who had rubella when she was pregnant. (Spoiler: she has kids, but they were born quite a bit after she had that pregnancy.) Part of what I find frustrating about anti-vaxxers is that most of the vaccinations being boycotted are for diseases that made life miserable for people who are really accessible and often willing to talk about it. It's not all that hard to find couples who couldn't have children because the husband had mumps or people who have a sibling they don't mention much because they died of whooping cough as a child or whose parents lined up to get them vaccinated for polio. Like, these are not all people who are 90. Some of them are 65.

My mom was telling me about how terrifying the polio outbreak was in the 1950s. She used to have nightmares about ending up in an iron lung. On my dad's side, he lost two siblings to diphtheria. And let's not even get to my experiences. I worked in a couple of places that had measles outbreaks or where a not insignificant number of people had SSPE
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:07 pm

I can look at the headstones at the local cemetery, and it doesn't take long to find something like "Our Darling Boy, b.Dec 1881 d.Mar 1883" or the like.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Of course, kids dying young isn't solely due to lack of vaccines.

I would have been dead at 4 years old before 1921 due to no insulin. (And the fact that these particular anti-vaxxers are Type 1 diabetics makes me even angrier and them even stupider, IMO.)

But yeah, my grandpa's younger sister died at 2 years old in the 1920s from the influenza outbreak. I never even knew about her until after he died because he never spoke of her. He was 4 when she died and wasn't allowed to go to the funeral. Heartbroken the rest of his life. Sad

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum