NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 16 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:17 pm

I just looked real hard at the part where she pointed out that in order to run that "experiment" the couple had to be open to trying it with each other in the first place. (Which is to say they were already mutually interested in dating each other; else they would not have agreed to do this thing together.)
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 16 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by caliseivy Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:53 pm

The Mikey wrote: I stopped half-way through the article, I couldn't keep going, seemed way too good to be true. There's no way this could possibly work. Also, something about the article didn't seem right... seemed... manipulative?

Overall, I thought it was stupid, or maybe I'm just that cynical.

Well the title is very gimmicky. I can't handle eye contact with anyone for longer than a few seconds; four minutes would be torture.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Huh, I really liked the pair of articles. I thought it basically codified what happens over time in a developing relationship.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Caffeinated wrote:Huh, I really liked the pair of articles. I thought it basically codified what happens over time in a developing relationship.

What I found kind of disturbing was how the writer in first article talks about how the participants in the original study by Dr. Arthur Aron ended up getting married six month's later.

Or maybe because I'm a dude, I'm not capable of understanding as my sister once put it. -shrug-

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:00 pm

So, having watched both Walking Dead and Z Nation, I have learned an important lesson:
Eventually you will try to rebuild civilization. You will get an area cleared and secured. You will start building a community of like-minded survivors who want something more than running and scrabbling for survival every day. DO NOT let the protagonists into this community under any circumstances! They will ALWAYS doe something stupid that results in a zombie outbreak inside the walls around your unarmed survivors. Look, they're the good guys. They're going to succeed in their quest to save the world anyway. They don't really need your help.
Gentleman Johnny
Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:46 pm

I can now babbysit an OKC profile of a pretty good-looking friend of mine who decided to take a break from the whole shit. We'll see how much of the typical horror story is true on this side of the pond.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:45 am

Apparently, a lot of penile fractures occur when the woman is on top...

There's this Nurse Unit Manager who I find attractive. She must be in her....50's?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 am

I think part of the reason I find the idea of dating very scary is that I rarely if ever go out with just one person at a time, outside hanging with my Dad. And even then, I'd wager about 50% there's others we know with us or where we are going.

It's really dumb, but going out with one person (whom is possible you already have some feelings for) to do something specifically together is both cool and utterly terrifying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:10 pm

My cat sexiles herself to the bathroom every time I have someone over. It is simultaneously adorable and sad.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:41 pm

Like clockwork, 50 percent of the mockery in the tweets shame the wearers for never getting laid: http://time.com/3673614/meninist-meninism-t-shirts-hashtag/

BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:08 pm

Ah, Time, that bastion of investigative jorunalism. . .I'll just be over here with Hunter S. Thimpson's ghost, quietly weeping in the corner.
Gentleman Johnny
Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:34 pm

It's Friday.
I just survived week two with sanity mostly intact.
I deserve some french fries.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:16 pm

I'd mail you some but they'd probably be all cold and soggy by the time they got to you.
Gentleman Johnny
Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:37 pm

There may not be an absolute expiration date, but I can't help but feel like there's some kind of 'Best before' window of opportunity after which investing the requisite amounts of work into finding what it is you want, becomes exponentially more....taxing? I feel the same with regard to self-improvement, creating sustainable social networks etc.

I have trouble with feeling desires.

Question for the Forumites: How much does a song's lyrics matter over the way it sounds for you to enjoy it?

Personally, I've always put more weight on a song's tune than it's lyrics. It's how I enjoy Indian music even when I mostly don't understand what the lyrics mean in English.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:27 am

HermitTheToad wrote:
Question for the Forumites: How much does a song's lyrics matter over the way it sounds for you to enjoy it?

Personally, I've always put more weight on a song's tune than it's lyrics. It's how I enjoy Indian music even when I mostly don't understand what the lyrics mean in English.

There's a broad middle range where I care a great deal more about the tune and the beat, which is why my car radio is set to lowest common denominator pop and my TV's resting state when not used for Netflix is often that light classical music channel. But on the extreme ends of things, there are a handful of songs that really speak to me and quite a few more that have lyrics that make me want to change the channel instantly.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:43 am

HermitTheToad wrote:Question for the Forumites: How much does a song's lyrics matter over the way it sounds for you to enjoy it?

I resonate more with a song when I find the lyrics appealing, but the tune must be there too or I check out pretty quick. I have low tolerance for music with tunes I don't get enjoyment out of when it comes to actually having to listen to it. So, I probably put a little more weight on instrumentation and the melody than the lyrics. But not a lot more.

Lyrics matter enough that I seek out translations of what music I have that is not in English. Music is very similar to poetry, so I like to know the intent of the artist at the very least.

But, I do love instrumentals. They let you daydream and craft your own world around the song which is a real joy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:15 am

I feel very much the same, MapWater.

It's not that I never care about lyrics. If that were the case then I'd enjoy Rap and Hiphop more, because I really like a lot of hiphop beats and instrumentals.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Lyrics do not really matter to me at all. For me, there are specific combinations of beat, tempo, and instrumentation (with the voice classed as an instrument) that will catch me no matter the lyrics or language.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:57 pm

The internet is a strange place in many ways, one of which is that it allows you to be sad about the death of a cat owned by a person who you've never met or even interacted with directly.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 pm

eselle28 wrote:The internet is a strange place in many ways, one of which is that it allows you to be sad about the death of a cat owned by a person who you've never met or even interacted with directly.

I found myself having to remind myself that there is no reason to get all teary-eyed about a cat I've never met. The internet is indeed a strange place.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:40 am

School starts up again for me tomorrow. First class of the day... Beginning Spring-board diving. First time in over six months that I've been in a pool, gonna be totally outta shape, but I'll be determined to go back. :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:06 am

I keep going back n' forth with how I feel about my face. Most times it's just disappointment, but then for some nebulous reasons I feel like I look better/passable. And that's shitty, because there's now this cynicism that informs me that any goodfeels I have are fickle and temporary at best, and that I'll just go back to feeling upset.

I don't like doubting my eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:43 am

HermitTheToad wrote:I keep going back n' forth with how I feel about my face. Most times it's just disappointment, but then for some nebulous reasons I feel like I look better/passable. And that's shitty, because there's now this cynicism that informs me that any goodfeels I have are fickle and temporary at best, and that I'll just go back to feeling upset.

I don't like doubting my eyes.

I do the same thing and feel the same way about it.

Awesome song, by the way.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:29 am

I love lists like these: http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/01/25/a-philosopher-walks-into-a-coffee-shop/
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:46 pm

IDK why everyone panned The Interview... it was hysterical. Not as funny as previous other Seth Rogen works, but still pretty gorram funny.

"That's such a Boromir thing to say!!"

Also, this: https://imgur.com/gallery/oCwlLZl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum