NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 28 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:43 am

So how exactly do you solve the problem of the whining dog? Do you deepen it's pain or leave it alone?

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 28 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Unlearning things is oftentimes useless if it doesn't lead to more nuance. Trading in one set of simplifications for another is not learning at all, and the excuse of some simplifications being less harmful than others isn't nearly as universally applicable as one might hope.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Finally got myself a full-length mirror and put it on the wall.
I close my closet door and nearly panic when I see someone standing close to me out the corner of my eye.
Now I know how animals feel when they catch their own reflection Facepalm
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 pm

HermitTheToad wrote:So how exactly do you solve the problem of the whining dog? Do you deepen it's pain or leave it alone?

I am not a dog expert, but I would think you should first make sure there's no underlying issue causing the dog physical pain. If not, then ignore the dog, as it keeps whining presumably because it expects a response from you.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:26 am

The Wisp wrote:
HermitTheToad wrote:So how exactly do you solve the problem of the whining dog? Do you deepen it's pain or leave it alone?

I am not a dog expert, but I would think you should first make sure there's no underlying issue causing the dog physical pain. If not, then ignore the dog, as it keeps whining presumably because it expects a response from you.

Heh, I was referring to this story. It got featured on DNL prime a while back, and I was thinking about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:33 am

Well of course it only has to just get up off the nail. The reason the dog still has this problem is that it just hasn't spent enough effort on it. Nobody who isn't the dog can solve the problem, and of course all problems have solutions, so it's the dog's own damn fault for bleeding on the carpet.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Sometimes when I find out a fear of mine is unlikely to happen or few people like me share it, I actually become even more paranoid than before instead of feeling assuaged.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Date was fun but had no spark, which afterwards felt like a gap in my stomach for all of 15 minutes. This should be ground down with making dates a more frequent occurence, and a bit more casual contact in advance, even if I'm busy. Convo material aplenty, although she was right that it didn't really feel like a date that much. Also, lolling at dudes who fucked up their text game afterwards was a relief, and goes to show that even the succesful peeps flail around a lot.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:11 am

So I was just browsing the interwebs as I usually do and I found this:
Big image:

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:23 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:Well of course it only has to just get up off the nail. The reason the dog still has this problem is that it just hasn't spent enough effort on it. Nobody who isn't the dog can solve the problem, and of course all problems have solutions, so it's the dog's own damn fault for bleeding on the carpet.

Just in case / for the record, that post was intended to drip with sarcasm.

Even if I still thought it was worth trying, not sure how Mom expects me to be "starting a family" when every single holiday and some other randomly-selected weekends must be reserved for visits with the family I've already got. There are many things that can be accomplished simply by "thinking about it" but this demonstrably is not one of them. I get the sense that most people leave work at 5 and don't look back, but still.

Besides, when the rest of the world has been wanting you to give up for some time already, it hardly seems good manners to argue.

(I should've gone to Nevada.)
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:43 am

My dog is an instigating asshole. If there are dogs in he houses we walk by she let's out just enough barks to get them barking and then ignores them.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Out of procrastination I went to Wikipedia to look up the etymology of my name.

Oh look, I was the wife of the Buddha in one of his previous lives! And Tanabata is (at least partially) celebrated in my honor. Sweeeeet  Smug I actually had no idea.  Cool

If only my parents hadn't fucked up the spelling...  Facepalm

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:52 am

A chrome extension I never knew I needed until now:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/animal-crossing-music/ldjcaihhhmemeidcfbcadilcmfdaikkg
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:29 am

Jeez, this young man makes me feel like an underachieving lazy ass
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:47 pm

Yeah, so Dude at the Framing Place, it really wasn't necessary to mention discounts and extra speedy service for redheads plus tell two redhead jokes. Frankly, it was kind of weird. I'm not sure whether the fact that I explicitly mentioned that this was a present for my boyfriend's birthday when I asked when if could get the job done by a certain date made those jokes feel safer for you to make, but they were kind of annoying.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Sometimes being in academia feels like a ruinous, soul-sucking mistake, and sometimes you walk out of a professor's office hours feeling insanely pumped to go do ALL the research. I think I've got about 5 viable dissertation proposals kicking around in my brain right now. Bring it, ivory tower. Boxing
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:27 am

In the earlier half of my twenties I wished to be loved. In the latter half of my twenties I've come to find I'd rather be feared.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 28 Kjh4fWv

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:28 am

"It's already really difficult to be happy.

"Er, and that's why there's no point making it impossible. By, um, dwelling on the past. Like you said."
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:51 pm

Sometimes, when I read responses to my DNL prime posts on a school computer, I'm sorely tempted to upvoted my own posts. I usually resist the urge Razz
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:57 pm

The Wisp wrote:Sometimes, when I read responses to my DNL prime posts on a school computer, I'm sorely tempted to upvoted my own posts. I usually resist the urge Razz
If you have an IntenseDebate account and comment via that, it automatically upvotes your own posts for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:16 am

It is kind of messed up that despite sex work being legal in Italy most sex workers are still trafficked
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Super apprehensive about taking this much responsibility, ever, but especially right now. I'm not in a great position to refuse, plus it's potentially an opportunity to lobby for a bigger raise next time...but I have a suspicion that I'm about to become a textbook example of the Peter Principle, and after only a couple of months on the job.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:31 pm

I wish I had the face for a short-hair frohawk, and that short hair wouldn't make me look like my mother...
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Hey dude in the fur hat fanning yourself feverishly and dramatically: maybe, like, take off the fur hat? It's a cute hat, sure, but it's not exactly cold today. Or ever.

Edit:
caliseivy wrote:I wish I had the face for a short-hair frohawk, and that short hair wouldn't make me look like my mother...

Oh me too, on your behalf. Few things cooler looking than a short frohawk. Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:02 pm

So did an interview today with someone who is writing her thesis on male feminists(gender egalitarian also got a pass). Previous encounter with this lady was her tossing chocolate coins at me when I trolled her by impersonating a Tumblrina stereotype. Now I got called amazing for the amount of useful blogs/resources I namedropped in the convo. Self-obsessed gender nerd with a trollish streak and a hate-on for narrative closure is probably most accurate in describing me, it's just that the feminist peeps in my social circle also fall into that category.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum