NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 29 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by caliseivy Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Werel wrote:Hey dude in the fur hat fanning yourself feverishly and dramatically: maybe, like, take off the fur hat? It's a cute hat, sure, but it's not exactly cold today. Or ever.

Edit:
caliseivy wrote:I wish I had the face for a short-hair frohawk, and that short hair wouldn't make me look like my mother...

Oh me too, on your behalf. Few things cooler looking than a short frohawk. Razz

Cooler, and lower-maintenance Smile
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 29 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Guest Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:57 am

I think it's weird that the only driving factor I have to actually gain muscle mass is so I could, potentially, cosplay Robert Carlyle's Dracula from the Lords of Shadow Castlevania games.

It's kind of sad, but it's also kind of awesome. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Man... if only I learned how to swim when I was a kid. Then I woulda kept training, harder, better, faster, stronger. Then I woulda made it to the Men's National U.S. Swim Team, the only sport I care for in the Olympics. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:41 pm

I let my dog out this evening. Somehow he got let in, but neither me nor my mother remembers letting him in. That's disconcerting.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:48 pm

The Wisp wrote:I let my dog out this evening. Somehow he got let in, but neither me nor my mother remembers letting him in. That's disconcerting.

Is this your dog?

eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:38 pm

eselle28 wrote:Is this your dog?

Ha! Maybe. He's also tied up when outside, so he'd have to know how to unhook the leash, too. I still wouldn't put it past him Razz

The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:17 am

Going by OKC, I should move to Amsterdam, since it seems to be a zoo for arrested millenials and I'd fit right in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:22 pm

It takes a surprising (and unapreciated) amount of strength to kick toxic people out of your life and stick to it.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:17 am

*approaches woman in bar with a can*
"Take a guess what's inside."
*opens can to reveal can opener*
"It's a canned opener!"
*laugh track*
"Sorry, I needed to have your attention, because it goes against the categorical imperative to not tell you you're beautiful."
*pause*
"Now it's a Kant opener!"
*girl has left*
"Geddit, because you can't get any with it..."
*sad trombone plays*

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:40 am

BasedBuzzed wrote:
"Sorry, I needed to have your attention, because it goes against the categorical imperative to not tell you you're beautiful."
*pause*
Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 29 Rimshot

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:51 am

Robjection wrote:
BasedBuzzed wrote:
*pause*
Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 29 Rimshot

I actually decided to fire a less cheesy variation of that pun at a philosophy PhD candidate on OKC just now who said she liked puns. Let's see how it works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:15 pm

DC Comics has two villains whose only supr power is immortality, Ra's Al Ghul and andal Savage. This got me thinking. How many immortals would it take to render history completely unrecognizable just by virtue of their being able to act on the knowldge that they'll be young and healthy for millenia? Its the "can one man make a difference" question but on a completely different scale since they can afford to push the boulder for a hundred years as a short term plan. Seems like Ra's could have done more for the environment in the past hundred years through a sustained letter writing camaign and investing in green technology just by sticking with it than he's actually accomplished in the books.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Just one, if they're an offspring of a Kwisatz Haderach.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:08 am

New medical benefits plan starts in a little over a month, so I guess now is the time to start shopping for counselors. Psychology Today runs a pretty crummy rag, but their search filtering on shrinks is marginally more feature-rich than what my future HMO has.

"Depression" is an obvious click, but it's a common enough casual self-diagnosis (and a common enough self-proclaimed specialty) that it's unlikely to be sufficiently selective on its own. There's a "sexuality" category with no "other" or "none" toggle, but I figure if they aren't labeling themselves as friendly to "bisexual" clients we're probably not going to be having the right sorts of discussions, so I might as well just use that one. I don't know what "Men's Issues" means. Or "Women's Issues" for that matter. Is it still "Other Spiritual or Religious Affiliations" if I consider the belief in spirits a wild superstition and the notion of a religious code redundant?

Fine. As usual, the filters and metrics available for searching a list of individual persons are inadequate to describe what I'm looking for, so I'm left disregarding the match-percentage/"relevance" and just reading through each description.

A minimum of half of these shrinks' profiles open with some kind of attempt at a compliment toward the reader for realizing they need therapy. Easy skip; of course I'll miss some good ones, but I wouldn't know them from their Just-Add-Water profiles anyway. Throwing those out also cuts out most of the New Age-y "claim power over your life" crap and "it takes courage to __" baloney, but not all. There are probably several among the rest that have those attitudes anyway, but at least they have the good sense not to mention it until after I owe them money.

Current favorite: one whose profile description opens with three succinct "I" statements bluntly listing credentials and methodologies. Bizarrely unique in that choice of presentation. Also a rarity in that they actually post their hours, and have their own website. Site loses points for using a WordPress template, but earns 'em back by somehow being usable despite that handicap.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:29 am

Hmm I wonder what kind of gas milage a Delorean gets...

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:30 am

takuan: while this might seem counterintuitive for you, have you considered the Kink-Aware Professionals directory? I found my therapist through it, and while I don't even talk to her primarily about anything related to sex, the three counselors I tried out through KAP all had a similarly chill, humanistic, aware-of-various-(a)sexualities approach that I appreciated.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:48 am

The Mikey wrote:Hmm I wonder what kind of gas milage a Delorean gets...

18 mpg City, 24 Highway
or 40 1/3 mw/yr @ 88mph with optional flux capacitor.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:24 am

Gentleman Johnny wrote:
The Mikey wrote:Hmm I wonder what kind of gas milage a Delorean gets...

18 mpg City, 24 Highway
or 40 1/3 mw/yr @ 88mph with optional flux capacitor.

18mpg? My Jeep gets on average 20 mpg, about the same on the highway tho.

:\

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:38 am

I had a dream where my new apartment turned into an office space. Not exactly unexpected, as it was situated in the first floor of a major Norwegian publishing house, but still... I had been promised that I could stay there, on my inflatable matress, and have the room to myself. It felt so nice, to have a room to myself. But then people started coming in, working, making phone calls, chatting amongst themselves, while I was trying to sleep, and I was so disappointed and betrayed. After a while, they all went off to a gathering at the auditorium, because the building was a school now (but still kind of a publishing house), and I went off to find the headmaster/chef editor to complain.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:47 am

Gentleman Johnny wrote:DC Comics has two villains whose only supr power is immortality, Ra's Al Ghul and andal Savage. This got me thinking. How many immortals would it take to render history completely unrecognizable just by virtue of their being able to act on the knowldge that they'll be young and healthy for millenia? Its the "can one man make a difference" question but on a completely different scale since they can afford to push the boulder for a hundred years as a short term plan. Seems like Ra's could have done more for the environment in the past hundred years through a sustained letter writing camaign and investing in green technology just by sticking with it than he's actually accomplished in the books.

waxingjaney wrote:Just one, if they're an offspring of a Kwisatz Haderach.

How many immortals does it take to screw in a light bulb remake human history in their image?

Another book that explores virtual immortals and their problematic ways is Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 pm

Early to bed / and early to rise / makes this night owl / the whole world despise
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:41 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:Early to bed / and early to rise / makes this night owl / the whole world despise
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy but socially dead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Slep is for the weak!
The happy, healthy, well rested weak!

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Spoiler:

This lesson brought to you by today's Order of The Stick.

Last edited by Robjection on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:00 pm

^Yo ever heard of a spoiler alert warning?  Razz  Anyway, thanks for letting me know there's a new comic up--it feels like Rich hasn't updated in forever

EDIT: Well, we all kinda knew that was going to happen--the only question now is what happens to superpower Crystal. Now can the thieves guild arc finally be over so we can get back to the main plot?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum