NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 30 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Robjection Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:^Yo ever heard of a spoiler alert warning?  Razz
Whoops! Fixed that!

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 30 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Guest Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:49 am

I just found this:

Spoiler:

It's simultaneously comforting and saddening.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:26 am

I had forgotten that I very occasionally (like, once in a span of a couple hours) will briefly lose my awareness of the volume of my voice and start really projecting in inappropriate places. Now that I'm socializing again this has returned (most recently, a restaurant, I got a weird look from a couple old ladies). If I don't pay attention my speaking voice really really projects, even if I'm not shouting.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:03 am

Does it help that the quote is from a book about an elephant protecting microscopically tiny whos?

I mean it really means the warm fuzzy thing too, but in-universe they are just literally tiny so there's a reason they are overlooked, even though they should not be, and it has nothing to do with the personal failings of the whos.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 am

The Wisp wrote:I had forgotten that I very occasionally (like, once in a span of a couple hours) will briefly lose my awareness of the volume of my voice and start really projecting in inappropriate places. Now that I'm socializing again this has returned (most recently, a restaurant, I got a weird look from a couple old ladies). If I don't pay attention my speaking voice really really projects, even if I'm not shouting.
You should enter a public speaking competition. Or go into acting.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:29 am

Robjection wrote:
The Wisp wrote:I had forgotten that I very occasionally (like, once in a span of a couple hours) will briefly lose my awareness of the volume of my voice and start really projecting in inappropriate places. Now that I'm socializing again this has returned (most recently, a restaurant, I got a weird look from a couple old ladies). If I don't pay attention my speaking voice really really projects, even if I'm not shouting.
You should enter a public speaking competition. Or go into acting.

Or teaching/academia. Mike failures at conferences would roll right off your back.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 pm

I was trying to bleach a design so it'd be white. Turns out blue slacks turn pink in bleach. Who knew?

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:I was trying to bleach a design so it'd be white. Turns out blue slacks turn pink in bleach. Who knew?
I've found if you're not careful washing navy, they turn purple.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:05 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:
Gentleman Johnny wrote:I was trying to bleach a design so it'd be white. Turns out blue slacks turn pink in bleach. Who knew?
I've found if you're not careful washing navy, they turn purple.

Or fade like crazy. Razz

Oooh, boy, hopefully I can get on staff for Comic-Con's Film Festival this year. D: And by Comic-Con, I mean the original San Diego one. ;D

/smug

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Just heard they've found how to fit an elephant inside a Safeway bag.

You simply take the "S" out of "safe" and the "F" out of "way".

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:50 pm

Dear best friend,

Thank you so much for going back on antidepressants. Without them you were too depressed to even blink, much less have a decent conversation (which is all we can do since I moved a million miles away), and seeing you in that state for so long was miserable. It does me good to hear your regular voice again. Even your texts seem like those of a living person now. I missed you so much.

Love,
Werel
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:52 am

♫ So let the light guide your way, yeah
Hold every memory as you go
And every road you take will always lead you home, home

It's been a long day without you, my friend
And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
We've come a long way from where we began
Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again
When I see you again ♫

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:17 am

Rejected for paid teacher traineeship, feedback was constructive(strangely enough, it's not about the lesson plan, but rather that the enthusiasm didn't really account for pupils who weren't as passionate). I can try again for next year, though by that time I'll probably have send out a dozen other applications for stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:26 am

My academic writing (mostly non-fiction, but some fiction, too) is very good and clean and clear, if my teachers are to be believed.

My writing on the internet is often disjointed and more sloppy in terms of things like dropping random words or using the wrong conjugation, if my own perceptions are accurate anyway.

I know this is true of many people, but I feel like I'm a more extreme version of it.

What's weird about this is that I'm not someone who goes through multiple drafts, or even proofreads, most of the time in my formal writing. I think the disjointed-ness and sloppiness reflects how I actually think, but with writing for classes I usually spend a few hours processing everything so that it comes out in a clean and linear fashion.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:57 am

I had an interview for an internal promotion today. Aaaaaaaaaghhh!

(It went pretty well, it's just scary.)
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:00 am

For whatever it's worth, Wisp, I have the same issue. I'd also say that I haven't perceived you to be a more extreme version of it. I perceive myself as being the more extreme version of it with all my edits, and I've rarely noticed errors in your writing. I think many of us - at least those of us who aspire to a level of communication higher than that of YouTube comments - are very focused on our own errors as we try to do a task that's halfway between a conversation and an essay and rarely notice others' errors.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:38 pm

The Wisp wrote:
What's weird about this is that I'm not someone who goes through multiple drafts, or even proofreads, most of the time in my formal writing. I think the disjointed-ness and sloppiness reflects how I actually think, but with writing for classes I usually spend a few hours processing everything so that it comes out in a clean and linear fashion.

I'm the same way. I don't like to write rough drafts; I often won't feel comfortable putting words to paper if the thoughts are not fully formed. So I spend a lot of time thinking about what I want to say before I start any writing, so that by the time I actually write, the basic structure is already laid out and about half the sentences are already formed.

I don't feel quite the same discrepancy you feel with internet writing, though, because I use this same mental organizing process for all of my writing, including emails and forum posts. It often takes a really long time for me to compose any message longer than a paragraph, which is part of the reason why I post here so infrequently.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:00 pm

eselle28 wrote:For whatever it's worth, Wisp, I have the same issue. I'd also say that I haven't perceived you to be a more extreme version of it. I perceive myself as being the more extreme version of it with all my edits, and I've rarely noticed errors in your writing. I think many of us - at least those of us who aspire to a level of communication higher than that of YouTube comments - are very focused on our own errors as we try to do a task that's halfway between a conversation and an essay and rarely notice others' errors.

That's very true.

I should note that I do tons of edits immediately after I post most of the time so nobody sees the "first draft" (and if you edit quickly enough after posting, it doesn't even display "edited x number of times by y" under the post).

@KMR: Yeah, if I wrote at the rate I do in academic writing on here, it would take me an hour to write some posts!
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:28 pm

I would renew my HBO subscription after GoT ends if they produced Olenna: Agent Of Flowers, because you just know the young Queen Of Thorns was basically Emma Peel.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:I would renew my HBO subscription after GoT ends if they produced Olenna: Agent Of Flowers, because you just know the young Queen Of Thorns was basically Emma Peel.

I would watch the hell out of that. I would also be up for something starring her at her current age, whether it was her being underestimated by people while solving mysteries or having a grand time enjoying retirement with a few good friends.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:00 pm

Book VIII: Varys And Olenna Sit In The Garden And Laugh At Everyone.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Looks like I'm being cancelled on again. I'd put this in rants but it's so normal to me now that it's not worth me getting upset over.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Going back on Tinder. Let's see how much of a trainwreck it'll be this time.

-cue theme-

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:32 pm

I can think of no other type of service where the most frequent and profitable customers are the dissatisfied ones.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:17 am

nearly_takuan wrote:I can think of no other type of service where the most frequent and profitable customers are the dissatisfied ones.
A clever observation, but this applies more to people on conventional dating services who are looking for a long-term relationship. People who find success on a location-based casual sex app aren't going to stop using it.

I'm still kind of surprised that Tinder was such a hit. There have been many attempts to make a "Grindr for straight people" since Grindr came out in 2009. I don't see what makes Tinder so different from all of the failed attempts, other than its success.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum