NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+32
Nerdator
Xexyz
Gman
kath
CP96
Wondering
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
reboundstudent
BiSian
Dannyboy
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
Chickpea Sarada
Andrew Corvero
reboot
lonelyoffices
jcorozza
WJMorris3
Conreezy
litterature
eselle28
Izmuth
Werel
PintsizeBro
nearly_takuan
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
caliseivy
Robjection
The Wisp
Hirundo Bos
36 posters

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 8 Empty Re: Rants

Post by caliseivy Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:00 pm

She's hurting again.
She's struggling and I know what will help her, but I don't have it.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:07 pm

>"Dubcon convinces people that abuse is love"
Like, I have dubcon fantasies, gal. Becoming the victim of mind control, drugging, social pressure, body puppeteering, the works. I can safely say I don't want that shit to occur IRL, as far as it would be realistically possible. Your blank slatism is kinda patronizing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 pm

If she carries on like that BasedBuzzed, send her my way and I'll tell her about the dreams I have. Let's see her explain that shit!

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:03 am

Ugh. It is, however, a comfort to know that: (1) when I initially tried to reach it by pasting the URL into donotlink.com, the proxy informed me that the majority of users had rated the page either "nonsense" or "offensive"; and (2) I was unable to reach it at all without looking for cached versions, because the site has been repeatedly DDOS'd.

She asks how it makes me feel, if there's anything I'd have wanted to say to them. Or would want to say to them now. What's my first reaction, or second, or third? I say not really. My first instinct is to roll with the punch. Second is to try to figure out how to deal with it on my own. Third is apparently to mention the memory in therapy when directly asked about race-related experiences. Her words say it's okay, but her face says she's disappointed. None of her says what I was supposed to say, now or before. I wonder what the point of this is. Good thing it's cheap.

Last edited by nearly_takuan on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:04 am

It's really fucked up that the things that most shape my personality and emotional struggles, particularly socially, happened from ages 3-19. The experiences don't have a ton of relevance for my adult life, and yet they color everything.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:47 am

> take a selfie

Tried that once, something like a year ago. Was almost immediately advised by close friends, long-distance friends, and my mom that I should use basically anything else as a profile picture on the social medias. Mom found a nice picture of my glasses emitting lots of glare in the sunlight to recommend. Wound up putting that one on LinkedIn instead, but yeah.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Certain friends griping on the Internet about the end/defilement of "traditional" marriage and how "bigoted" are the people telling them they're wrong, wrong, wrong.

I want to say: it is lucky for me that I do not live in a world where a traditionalist sect of Judaism, whose customs predate your "Christ", dictates the laws and customs of marriage. They'd judge me unnatural for having failed to get a date by my age, or if in this alternate reality I somehow had found a spouse it would then customarily be my "responsibility" to provide sex.

I want to say: somewhere in the somewhat longer-than-we-probably-think history of human culture, there is a religion older than memory in which the things you enjoy are prohibited and the things you'd rather not do are compulsory. You have expressed that you do not wish such a fate on your friends, and I cannot imagine you would wish such a condition upon yourself; how is it, then, that you are so comfortable lobbying for arbitrary restrictions on the behavior of people you do not know?

But something tells me they'd completely fail to understand everything I'm getting at. As usual.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:27 am

Neither the far-left nor the fascists are power brokers in tech, the cream of the crop doesn't spend most of its time in online infighting and shitting out screeds on societal reform that only make sense if people behaved like your incestuous monkeysphere.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:08 pm

Dear female interns,

I understand that Aaliraivan, Amit, and Takahiro are hot. I have eyes. And yes, they are super smart, interesting and personable. However, this is a workplace and you all need to dial back on the flirting, especially the giggling and save it for lunch and after hours. It is not interfering with your duties, but it is giving me a headache, so enough.

Sincerely,

Reboot aka your boss
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:17 am

"The fuckboys perpetuating rape culture" is the equivalent of "the banshees who embrace anti-feminism" in irony level, especially if the rest of your post is about being careful with language. At least try to live up to the standards you set for others.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I really hope all this reddit drama doesn't effect the two or three subreddits I really enjoy. So far it hasn't, the mods of these subs aren't joinning in to the protest, but I'm a bit worried about reddit's long term future.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by CP96 Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:39 pm

So sick of having to justify preferring to stay in on the weekends. No I don't have any particular plans. Yeah, I'm probably going to stay inside; maybe read a bit; play a few games; maybe try practicing some music again. I might go out and chill in a coffee shop for a bit, might pick up some groceries. Yes, I'm sure this sounds utterly boring to you, I happen to enjoy a quiet weekend. Spare me your condescending fucking pity.

Edit: this is directed at my coworkers, not anyone here!
CP96
CP96

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:40 pm

CP96 wrote:So sick of having to justify preferring to stay in on the weekends. No I don't have any particular plans. Yeah, I'm probably going to stay inside; maybe read a bit; play a few games; maybe try practicing some music again. I might go out and chill in a coffee shop for a bit, might pick up some groceries. Yes, I'm sure this sounds utterly boring to you, I happen to enjoy a quiet weekend. Spare me your condescending fucking pity.

Edit: this is directed at my coworkers, not anyone here!

Hehehe, I feel ya.

"Is it too much to ask for that I just wanna stay home and play vidya??"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:28 pm

>here is why it is okay to have commie armies in historical tabletop wargaming and not nazi armies
>explaining this as an American to Polish/Venezuelan folks
>not seeing the irony when you used to chide others for using book learning and studies vs. lived experiences
I mean, there must be a middle between not speaking over lived experiences while keeping in mind their context and how they fit into a broader scheme that can only be achieved using studies. Be less paranoid about me trying to 'gotcha' and actually say what your proposed equilibrium is.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Friend, I'm not sure if you're just legitimately busy or pulling the fade on me. I reached out once to hang out and you said you were busy studying but we should meet next week. Fair enough, it was the end of your class. Except, now I contact you this week and you say you're busy preparing for this 3 week trip you're going on next week for the entire week. But, surely you must have known about this in advance. Or, maybe you didn't realize the preparations would be so time and/or energy consuming. You did say we should get together when you get back in a month, but didn't offer to schedule anything. Neutral
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Profiles a shit. Low effort stuff just doesn't give any material for original openers, but the phrase "if you don't treat me like a princess you don't deserve me as a slut" makes me have enough faces and palms to fill an Easter Island.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:34 pm

When did wholesalers based in China take over all the Google Shopping results? Their 30 day shipping delays make trying and returning difficult to say the least, and they've done so many cross postings that it's hard to find anything else. A casual white maxi dress that doesn't cost an arm and a leg shouldn't be a hard item to find in early July.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Watching nerds intersect with "drama" is always kind of fascinating. There never seems to be an attitude of, hey, ya know, people are diverse and communication is difficult and this can be frustrating. Instead, it's always passionate defenses against "drama" ("Ugh so sick of how much drama there is!"), with everybody electing to go to battle stations and how everything is awful and terrible and no-good. I guess it isn't surprising-we nerds are known for our passions, and so it shouldn't be a shock that complicated human interactions are met with passionate accusations on all sides.

I'm just.... kinda done over the whole "I hate drama but I'm going to talk at length about it!" thing. Cause, calling something "drama" seems to be either downplaying or discrediting it in some way, which then makes any passionate or emotional response to it kind of ridiculous. You wanna care about a thing, care about a thing! Just stop complaining about the drama, then; own that you care. Better yet, stop being shocked that "drama" happens. There is not a single organization in this world with a membership of more than 2 people that doesn't have its streaks of "drama." Fellow nerds, I ask you-why are we so harsh about the drama??
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:00 am

A community partner just bailed on my event on Thursday because he's selling his business and is concerned the program he was going to be running would reveal trade secrets (About a pretty straightforward process, as far as I know, but hey, I never got to see him do it).

Unfortunately he was one of my key theme carriers, and I'm not sure I can replace that programming. Certainly not in basically one business day.

*headdesk* why did I check my email at 11pm?
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Yeah, so I just had to google my mother's address when listing her as a reference on a pet adoption application. My mother lives in the house I grew up in. This may be a sign that I'm not up for caring for a second cat.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:11 pm

*sigh*
Day two of Inexplicable Funk. I need this shit to shake already Sad
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:00 pm

The Wisp wrote:Friend, I'm not sure if you're just legitimately busy or pulling the fade on me. I reached out once to hang out and you said you were busy studying but we should meet next week. Fair enough, it was the end of your class. Except, now I contact you this week and you say you're busy preparing for this 3 week trip you're going on next week for the entire week. But, surely you must have known about this in advance. Or, maybe you didn't realize the preparations would be so time and/or energy consuming. You did say we should get together when you get back in a month, but didn't offer to schedule anything. Neutral

Just responding to this uninvited because I know you suffer from anxiety like I do and it might be helpful to hear other explanations of some situations, before your jerkbrain can do too much damage (I still regularly manage to convince myself that everyone hates me, even while they're actively trying to get into touch with me):

As a busy person, when you're busy you don't want to expend brainpower to consider when exactly you're not busy anymore.
That sometimes let's you make an error and claim you wouldn't be busy after a certain period while you then are busy with something you could've know in advance about.

Plus, a lot of lower priority stuff gets delayed when you're busy, which you only suddenly remember about when that lower priority stuff is suddenly getting higher priority just after the initial busy period.

When he's back I'd send him a message I hope he'd enjoy his vacation, and three days after he's back (letting him catch up on stuff that's been delayed by his vacation) I'd ask him if he'd want to hang out sometime in the next weeks and if yes what week and day would suit him best.
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:52 pm

I've never been a big comic reader, and here's why: because comics make it really freaking hard for new readers. All I want to do is start at the beginning of a 52 series (Batgirl.) That's it. Just give me the first story. But for some reason, the Vol 1 includes issues #35-40. So, wait, where are issues #1-35? Why are they not in Vol 1? Is there a different vol 1?

Comics, I do not want to have to warp into a hipster just to be able to figure out your continuity for a single freaking story. Y u no make numbering sense?
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Well, the good news(?) with Batgirl is that Batgirl of Burnham (that's vol1 , right?) is a big change-up from the old Batgirl so its really a god starting place.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Amen to that. It's a milder case, but Marvel decided to (probably temporarily, again) drop Peter Parker from the lead role on Amazing Spider-Man, ending with the arc wrap-up in #18 and whatever the hell Secret Wars was about. I'm overall very happy about this decision; Miles is a faaaaar better character than any version of Peter, and not just because he isn't just another of hundreds of straight-white-male protagonists.

The thing is, Spidey started a little parallel sidequest arc back in #16, which spun off into #16.1 and became its own sub-series numbered #17.1, #18.1... Now there is a #19.1 and may be a #20.1, even though there is no #19!
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 17 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum