NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the Rants

+43
Werel
Glides
Hielario
Datelessman
bomaye
Yoshiland
eselle28
Enail
HSavinien
ElizaJane
Amygdala
Conreezy
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
Mara_
Izmuth
fakely mctest
Chickpea Sarada
Kiskadee
Barretts_Salt
waxingjaney
KitKat
BasedBuzzed
Xexyz
readertorider
CP96
jcorozza
InkAndComb
Aggrax
kath
Hirundo Bos
reboot
PintsizeBro
Caffeinated
reboundstudent
Robjection
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
sky
WJMorris3
BiSian
litterature
Wondering
Prajnaparamita
47 posters

Page 17 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Go down

Return of the Rants - Page 17 Empty Re: Return of the Rants

Post by Izmuth Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:45 pm

So... met a woman.

Fun to talk to, enjoy hanging out with her, and I actually like it if she touches me, instead of merely tolerating it. She likes me and I like her.

...but she has a kid. So yeah, that's the end of that.

Excuse me while I feel very, very sorry for myself in the corner.
I thought I was coming to terms with myself but noooo.

FML
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Oh man, Izmuth, that's rough. I'm sorry life threw you some shitty circumstances here. Sad
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:40 am

Really, guys, this is not the way to advertise a sale.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:08 pm

Hmmm... I will never understand the non-iPhone user's hate for iPhone unless they've had massively bad luck with Apple and iPhones.

Otherwise...

Return of the Rants - Page 17 QHdvW91

Granted, I don't like or agree with the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack, but I'm not crucifying the phone either. Nor am I running out to get one ASAP (fucks sake, I'm still paying off the one I'm using). If anything, removing the headphone jack and relegating it to the Lightning Port is just streamlining the ports into one, which like anything in life has pros and cons.

However, non-iPhone users tend to behave with the same self-righteousness and fanaticism as MRA's. Now I'm not saying they're like this at all, but they sure as fuck are as vocal. Now this goes without saying that iPhone users don't dish out their own shade towards non-iPhones, they do.

But it's usually a very small minority. But, just about anytime Apple releases a new gadget, who's knocking on the door? Oh, it's just the Apple haters.

Recently, the Galaxy Note 7 has been catching on fire and iPhone users haven't bat an eye as far as I could tell. iPhone 6 bends a little due to somewhat shoddy worksmanship and its "OH HURRDURR CRAPPLE HUURDDDURR." It's getting pretty old.

I understand as well that a lot of the heat Apple gets is because of how outrageously priced their products are. Even the tiniest of accessories are pricey as shit, but it's due to proprietary ports yet the market eventually adapts. So what's the problem, non-iPhone users?

I have no issues with non-iPhones, none at all, infact I considered jumping to Galaxy when the Galaxy Gear was announced years ago. I also considered buying a Galaxy Tab 10 because it's screen was pressure sensitive among other things. But Apple later announced their own Apple Watch and I found out about pressure-sensitive stylus pens.

No, I don't have a problem with non-Apple products.

I have a problem with non-Apple users.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:37 pm

It's a sobering thought when you realize your husband and child would be financially better off without you since your own income doesn't cover your medical costs and those are more than child care would be.

Life with an expensive, chronic medical condition that pharmaceutical companies have no incentive to research a cure for because we're such a cash cow for them. For life. "But a cure for Type 1 diabetes is only 5 years away!" they've been saying since I was diagnosed 35+ years ago.

And screw you US lawmakers and those voters who do jack shit to make health costs actually affordable. And insulin is the next epipen. Its cost is on the rise with no laws to stop such gouging. Why necessary medicines can't be regulated like utilities I have no idea.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:41 pm

So...my apartment building had German cockroaches. It's only become a problem for me in the last month or so, but I've noticed them more. So we got some baits, some Raid, killed a few...not much improvement. Told the landlord, who has exterminators out every couple of months anyway. They came today - I had to empty out my kitchen, cabinets and all. And from what I can tell, exterminators are really just a service that moves bugs from one place to another. Because now they are in my hallway, breakfast nook, a few in my bedroom...I thought that when I got home they would have pretty much left, but no. I killed like 10 more. I sprayed an absurd amount of Raid around my apartment (especially my bedroom doorway) and now I am having panic attacks about German cockroaches crawling all over me in my sleep. Oh, and my phone broke, and I don't have time to replace it for a few days, so I can't even break up the torture that is work with texts from the boyfriend.

On a related note, when I look online for ways to get rid of roaches, or what their bites look like, I would really like to NOT have to see 1000 pictures of said roaches. I'm seeing enough in person, please stop, internet.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:34 am

Oh no! Cockroaches are awful! Hopefully they'll do a proper spraying of the whole place ASAP.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:31 am

Oh, how awful, jcorozza! I've had roaches, and they're horrifying, especially when nothing seems to be able to be done about them! Plus, my condolences on your phone. That's enough to complain about all by itself.

Now that you mention it, why the heck isn't there advice on getting rid of roaches - or other horrifying things - that doesn't feature pictures? Surely anyone who googles "kill roaches," or for that matter, "backed up toilet," is aware of what the problem looks like.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Squirrel in my apartment Sad
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:37 pm

Surprised That's nuts!

Sorry
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:05 pm

Squirrel in my apartment and pun in the Rants thread Sad
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Ugh. I just found out that I have to have two teeth pulled and implants put in. Like, soon. Because one of them is infected, and somehow neither have anything to do with cavities or things I could've prevented through brushing/flossing/etc. Which apparently will cost like $8000+. My dental insurance maxed out in February (it is awful), and I'm starting a new job next week. This is basically the worst possible timing. I don't have $8000. I called my mom to talk about it, thinking she'd offer to at least lend me some of the money and let me pay her back, because I don't make a lot. Her suggestion was basically "move back home", which would give me a terrible commute and I'd be forced to live with people who pick at everything I do, all the time. Cue the panicking.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Oh no, that's awful! Are there any cheaper dentists you could go to? Sometimes dental colleges supposedly will do it cheaper.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:25 pm

It has to be done by an oral surgeon, so I don't know that there are many student options for that :/ Another reason to move in with the bf to save some rent monies.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:06 pm

When I had something similar come up, I had the offenders pulled, then scheduled the actual implant work several months later once I had the financial stuff sorted out.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:24 pm

That might be what I have to do. In the hopes that slowing the process down will give me time to save money and that my new dental insurance will cover at least some of it.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Ah, hobby acquaintance who I reluctantly befriended on facebook after you asked in person if I would accept the friend request that you noticed I was completely ignoring, I now understand why being friends was so important to you. I will be ignoring your facebook messages asking me out on a date that doesn't include the word date just like I ignored the friend request in the first place.

What is it about me that exclusively attracts the attention of people like this? At least it has happened enough by now that I'm learning to avoid getting tricked into "hanging out" I guess :\
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Hey now ex-friend, if you actually wanted to show me any respect, you wouldn't tell me one thing when you're trying to convince me to drop everything and run to your side and an entirely different thing when I actually take your threats and claimed attempts of suicide seriously and call the crisis line on your behalf. Thank fucking god I was there and it was on speakerphone so I could hear you lie to them and correct the record. Unfortunately, because you'll say one thing to me and then an entirely different thing when I actually try to get you help, you're dead to me now. Yeah I was fucking freaking out when I left you alone, but if you do end up committing suicide, I was right there by your side calling crisis the last time I talked to you. I literally did the best thing possible to help and you refused it. I'm done with you now. I'm not willing to hear even a single more guilt trip about how your refusal to get help is somehow my fault. Fuck you.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:44 pm

The world is not going to end because a small person who has no recognition of human language doesn't have a name yet, and you'll forget the birth weight five seconds after you learn it. Being excited about a baby is great, but everyone involved wants to sleep.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:43 pm

For a while this was a pretty fun job and I was learning lots, getting to do a bunch of cool things, and feeling like I had a lot of autonomy and a big stake in the quality of the product we were building.

But now I'm effectively doing two or three jobs for the price of half (meeting and talking to some folks this week, who have senior titles, who do one of my jobs and say that's two jobs for the price of one, brings some clarity on this). And I don't have a team anymore, really, so the net expenditure the company seems to be willing to make towards the success of my project is exactly equal to my (relatively) small salary.

The housing market where I live seems like it couldn't possibly get worse but it's definitely going to.

Girlfriend has a liberal degree so the best job offers she's seen have been slightly above minwage and have absurdly inconvenient split hours that still only total 20 hour work weeks so she can neither get a second job nor use her paycheck for anything other than rent. (In fairness she currently does have a job that pays better than that, but it's a ~30 hour work week out in the middle of nowhere and still has split shifts, so that she's still basically at work for 45 hours per week but only gets paid for 30.)

My baseline emotional state is still probably about 50% happier than 18 months ago.

Return of the Rants - Page 17 20130109
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Gee, instead of telling the person who's out of line to cut it out, how about we instead do a team building exercise that involves hugging?

Ewwww! Ewwww! Ewwww!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:59 pm

Ick!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Getting called out when your discussion group has a session focused too much on "white people feelings"... when only white people showed up to a group for informally discussing research experiences and feelings confused
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 am

People who are very demonstrative about affection, but don't really listen to or show an interest in the person they're so affectionate to drive me crazy.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:57 am

Pagliacci wrote:There is nothing good in my life, and I don't have the ability to change that fact.

This week marks one year since I wrote this.

Nothing's changed. Nothing's gotten better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 30 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum