NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 22 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by The Wisp Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Now that Glides seems to be gone, I've realize that I'm the baby of this forum. Weird.

Yeah, I guess you are, but not by much. I'm exactly four months older than you.

No, wait, you might be younger than me! If your b-day on your profile is correct as being 2/1/1994, then I'm four months older than you, being born 10/1/1993. So I guess I never was the youngest here Razz
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 22 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Prajnaparamita Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:25 pm

The Wisp wrote:
Prajnaparamita wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Now that Glides seems to be gone, I've realize that I'm the baby of this forum. Weird.

No, wait, you might be younger than me! If your b-day on your profile is correct as being 2/1/1994, then I'm four months older than you, being born 10/1/1993. So I guess I never was the youngest here Razz

:silent:

...Math. I am very skilled at it.  Embarassed  Man, I've always been the youngest one?! I had no idea! And here I was believing myself to be all intelligent and worldly...

Edit: I believe I started going to the old forums when I was 19 or had just turned 20. I seem to always fall into this fallacy that whatever age I am is truly old indeed, and I am very advanced in my years.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:
The Wisp wrote:
Prajnaparamita wrote:

:silent:

...Math. I am very skilled at it.  Embarassed  Man, I've always been the youngest one?! I had no idea! And here I was believing myself to be all intelligent and worldly...

Lol, don't worry, as you said, five months isn't that much. But then I think there's nearly a two year gap between me and the Mikey, the next youngest. So I'm closer to you in age than anybody else here. Which means we can be unworldly and immature together (and philosophical, as I am also a philosophy major)! Solidarity! Razz

The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:32 pm

Nope, you're not! There are 167 of us, and you're not the youngest registered user or even the youngest person who comments. Best not to get into these kinds of generalizations.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm

The Wisp wrote:
Lol, don't worry, as you said, five months isn't that much. But then I think there's nearly a two year gap between me and the Mikey, the next youngest. So I'm closer to you in age than anybody else here. Which means we can be unworldly and immature together (and philosophical, as I am also a philosophy major)! Solidarity! Razz

rofl rofl rofl Sqeeeee, you're studying philosophy too?! I had seen you mention it, but I wasn't sure! That's great, now I have someone I can kevetch with whenever somebody on the forums uses "valid" as an adjective to describe anything other an argument where the truth of the premises necessitates the truth of the conclusion. (My current pet peeve.)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

eselle28 wrote:

Nope, you're not! There are 167 of us, and you're not the youngest registered user or even the youngest person who comments. Best not to get into these kinds of generalizations.

I know! Prajna and I just realized that! Embarassed There are others, too, if you're correct.

You know what they say about people who make assumptions...

By the way, I pictured this when I read you're comment! Razz

Prajnaparamita wrote:
The Wisp wrote:

rofl rofl rofl Sqeeeee, you're studying philosophy too?! I had seen you mention it, but I wasn't sure! That's great, now I have someone I can kevetch with whenever somebody on the forums uses "valid" as an adjective to describe anything other an argument where the truth of the premises necessitates the truth of the conclusion. (My current pet peeve.)

That is a valid pet peeve Wink
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:03 pm

The Wisp wrote:
eselle28 wrote:

I know! Prajna and I just realized that! Embarassed There are others, too, if you're correct.

You know what they say about people who make assumptions...

By the way, I pictured this when I read you're comment! Razz

I am 100% okay with that being my forum image. Shiny/thrilled
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:47 pm

I kinda have a little internet crush on Enail.

Enail, I know you're not actually Lin Beifong (you're not, right?), but I still picture you as though you are.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:52 pm

The Mikey wrote:I always wondered wtf the deal was with smoking after sex.

I think I'm gonna make it a thing to have a glass of milk vodka after sex once I start. Get you real sharp and ready for a bit of the old... ultra-violence.

If you're a smoker, smoking after sex is awesome. But if you're not a smoker, for godsake don't start because quitting is really hard.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:54 pm

PintsizeBro wrote:Enail, I know you're not actually Lin Beifong (you're not, right?), but I still picture you as though you are.

This may be the best thing I've heard all...ever! Shiny/thrilled
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Caffeinated wrote:
If you're a smoker, smoking after sex is awesome. But if you're not a smoker, for godsake don't start because quitting is really hard.

What I'm wondering is, what makes it awesome? Is there anything that the nicotine triggers in your brain to make it awesome? -shrug-

I will say I'm willing to light a J after sex just to mellow out and maybe have more sex while blazed outta my mind. It's funny, when I'm drunk my junk feels funny on top of feeling loopy. Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:03 pm

The Mikey wrote:What I'm wondering is, what makes it awesome? Is there anything that the nicotine triggers in your brain to make it awesome? -shrug-

I will say I'm willing to light a J after sex just to mellow out and maybe have more sex while blazed outta my mind. It's funny, when I'm drunk my junk feels funny on top of feeling loopy. Grin

Nicotine is a serotonin agonist. It's a fairly happy neurotransmitter, so lighting up when you're already happy will make you feel even more awesome. There are a lot more chemicals in cigarettes, including at least a couple that act as MAO inhibitors, keeping all the happy chemicals bouncing around your brain for longer.

THC is a dopamine agonist, which is also a pretty happy neurotransmitter.

Enail wrote:
PintsizeBro wrote:Enail, I know you're not actually Lin Beifong (you're not, right?), but I still picture you as though you are.

This may be the best thing I've heard all...ever! Shiny/thrilled

Well then! Grin

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:11 pm

That makes sense, but I will gladly take pot over regular old smokes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:13 pm

Relevant to marijuana / cigarette talk: I don't think I've met a person from the US that has spliffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:26 pm

I suspect that PintsizeBro has the correct explanation. As an ex-smoker who used to love to smoke after sex, I'd say there also might be a psychological one at play as well. If you smoke fairly regularly, you do it mundanely of course but also there's like the "I need a fucking cigarette" impulse after anything stressful or exciting, whether good or bad. It feels great after sex, but it also feels sort of...normal?

And for MapWater, I've lived in a number of places in the Midwestern and East Coast US, and I'm not familiar with either the term or what urban dictionary suggests is the concept. I've smoked both, but everyone I've known has always treated the two as separate.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:28 pm

eselle28 wrote:And for MapWater, I've lived in a number of places in the Midwestern and East Coast US, and I'm not familiar with either the term or what urban dictionary suggests is the concept. I've smoked both, but everyone I've known has always treated the two as separate.

Interesting, maybe it's a UK thing in that case.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:32 pm

MapWater wrote:
eselle28 wrote:And for MapWater, I've lived in a number of places in the Midwestern and East Coast US, and I'm not familiar with either the term or what urban dictionary suggests is the concept. I've smoked both, but everyone I've known has always treated the two as separate.

Yeah, this is my worst younger self speaking, but I'm kind of curious how it never occurred to us, because a lot of our drug use involved adulterating illegal substances with prescription ones in ways I would in no way recommend because I was a stupid asshole when I was younger. But, yeah, that never came up. Um, I don't know what cigarettes cost elsewhere compared to weed, but perhaps it's due to that?
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:46 pm

I'm not going to put this one in a separate thread, because as a non-parent it's sort of awkward for me to start one, but I find conversations about bottle-feeding kind of weird because I'm pretty sure my mom didn't even consider breast-feeding me - and she went back to work 3 weeks after I was born. She has no regrets about the first bit and finds the idea of breast-feeding kind of odd and says she found the second bit hard, cried when I had to go to daycare the first few days, and envies my sister for having an actual maternity leave. It is kind of strange to me that no one thought my middle class family was doing wrong by its children for making those choices or for having children when they didn't have better choices, while the judgments today are so much different.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:51 pm

Up until now, I've never heard of the term 'spliff' and I'm on the U.S. west coast!

Even on the west coast, as far as I know, most people keep their smokes and pot separate. The only nicotine I've smoked is from a hookah, and that makes my head loopy too sometimes. Makes me relax real good, so I don't mind hookah. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 am

eselle28 wrote:
MapWater wrote:

Yeah, this is my worst younger self speaking, but I'm kind of curious how it never occurred to us, because a lot of our drug use involved adulterating illegal substances with prescription ones in ways I would in no way recommend because I was a stupid asshole when I was younger. But, yeah, that never came up. Um, I don't know what cigarettes cost elsewhere compared to weed, but perhaps it's due to that?

Interesting, since the relatives I have back in the UK pretty much all smoke spliffs. And it's sort of done here in Australia too, I guess. I don't have absolute firsthand experience not smoking tobacco or marijuana myself. My vice is lowly caffeine. Laughing

I do know that the people I do know that smoke spliffs also roll their own cigarettes. So it could be tied more to the tobacco consumption than the marijuana, yeah.

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:22 am

Even in places where weed is legal, it's still a lot more expensive than tobacco (hell, good quality hash in Colorado costs more per gram than gold). And tobacco and weed do complement each other. A good friend of mine took up smoking cigarettes for the complementary effect. She had to stop smoking weed because it made her dizzy, but she got herself hooked on cigarettes in the process. If you're a weed smoker who doesn't already smoke cigarettes as well, I recommend not smoking spliffs.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:53 am

Back in the day they were called blunts, but that was more mini cigars like Swisher Sweets or real cigars than cigarettes. I always assumed it was because they held structural integrity better than cigarettes
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:03 am

eselle28 wrote:I'm not going to put this one in a separate thread, because as a non-parent it's sort of awkward for me to start one, but I find conversations about bottle-feeding kind of weird because I'm pretty sure my mom didn't even consider breast-feeding me - and she went back to work 3 weeks after I was born. She has no regrets about the first bit and finds the idea of breast-feeding kind of odd and says she found the second bit hard, cried when I had to go to daycare the first few days, and envies my sister for having an actual maternity leave. It is kind of strange to me that no one thought my middle class family was doing wrong by its children for making those choices or for having children when they didn't have better choices, while the judgments today are so much different.

It's a cultural change over the decades. I was also formula fed, as was my brother, my husband, his brother, and everyone I know my age group. My mom wanted to breastfeed but had trouble getting my brother and me to do so and so gave up and did formula instead. She had no support or any inkling of an idea that you could get support for breastfeeding. And maybe you couldn't in the '70s. Formula was considered the norm and the better thing to do, as far as I can tell. It was pushed heavily by the manufacturers as being better for babies than breast milk. They, of course, are not an unbiased source of info being vested in having new parents buy their product.

So, a lot of the heavy push against formula you see these days is reaction against that propaganda from the formula companies. "Breast is best" is the saying, and it is true as far as being biologically made for the infant drinking it, having antibodies, etc. It's also cheaper since it's free. Wink Now there are support groups and professionals to help with the difficulty of getting the baby started and through any troubles that arise if mom and baby don't click easily. (I talked to three different lactation consultants while I was still trying to breast feed.) However, a lot of breastfeeding proponents go overboard, IMO, and act like if you're formula feeding you're a terrible mother. I've said to several people in my life that I think there are no fiercer mommy wars than the breastfeeding one.

Personally, I don't feel like a bad mom or like I'm doing something bad for my baby because she's mostly formula fed. But I wanted to breastfeed. I wanted that bonding. And I didn't really realize how badly I'd wanted it until I couldn't do it. I also had a really hard recovery from my pregnancy (I'm still not 100% recovered), and sometimes I wonder if I just didn't try hard enough because everything was so so difficult then. I wonder if maybe I put my own comfort above my baby's needs. I don't think I really did. But it's always a niggling thought I have. Sad

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Spliffchat: I never smoked them before I moved to Hawaii, but most of my friends here who smoke weed do smoke spliffs. Partly because most of them are also cigarette smokers, partly because it's much cheaper to mix in tobacco, and partly because there is a very nice complementary effect between nicotine and THC which I wish I'd never discovered (last thing I need is any reason at all to enjoy tobacco)-- THC cancels out nicotine nausea for me, and nicotine adds a nice bodily buzz. Upside: if you roll clove spliffs, they're easier to smoke in public, because most people attribute any weird smells to not being accustomed to the scent of cloves. Laughing

Interesting to hear that a lot of Americans here don't smoke spliffs; a fair number of my Texan friends do, but I never ran across anybody on the East Coast who did. Had no idea that it was a widespread UK/Australia thing!
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:27 am

So, there's this, and there's that sometimes we really are also small weak mathematically-inclined virgins. (Or boisterous confident outspoken extroverts.) There are, of course, plenty of other ways to be stuck; not a one of them is comfortable.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum