NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 31 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by The Wisp Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:23 am

PintsizeBro wrote:
nearly_takuan wrote:I can think of no other type of service where the most frequent and profitable customers are the dissatisfied ones.
A clever observation, but this applies more to people on conventional dating services who are looking for a long-term relationship. People who find success on a location-based casual sex app aren't going to stop using it.

I'm still kind of surprised that Tinder was such a hit. There have been many attempts to make a "Grindr for straight people" since Grindr came out in 2009. I don't see what makes Tinder so different from all of the failed attempts, other than its success.

Because Tinder isn't "Grindr for straight people". Oh sure, it was intended that way, but it quickly became "OkCupid without the profiles" and that is what made it popular. I would hazard a guess and say the vast majority of users use it for relationships, not hookups. Probably 1/3 of the women on Tinder I ran into explicitly say "Not looking for casual sex".

ETA: In fact I was complaining about this the other day in this very thread, and the other posters backed up my observation that it isn't a hook-up app.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 31 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by reboot Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:27 am

I have a feeling that if women wanted casual sex, traditional dating sites worked fine IF they had the intestinal fortitude to make it through the muck they get bombarded with.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:58 am

Grindr is, you will find, not so different. The creator claims he never intended for it to be a hook-up app and I'm half inclined to believe him. You do find guys looking for relationships and even friends there.

It's easy to joke about it being a hook-up app. But it's just another dating app with a stripped-down user interface.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:51 am

My only complaint about Tinder is that I don't get shit for matches. Razz That's why I call it a trainwreck. But maybe with the new "Tinder Plus" thing they got going on maybe they cut down on bots.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:59 am

Bizarre and unimportant thought that is still bouncing in my head: not sure if person who today became the first to ever ask about my facial stubble counts as extraordinarily observant for having guessed the connection with my mental state or extraordinarily oblivious for having had to ask.

ETA: just realized we only hired her three weeks ago. Time mosquitoes at it again. Gonna give her credit for the former, then. Maybe she's had some experience.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:53 pm

http://thebest404pageever.com/

I can't remember if I linked to this place before. I'll go months without visiting it, then one day (like today), I'll visit it to see what's coming up this time, and it'll leave me thinking "What the fucktangle did I just watch?"

For example ...
Robjection
Robjection

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:55 pm

The last several times I attended this sort of gathering, there were so many people crammed into one room that I had to stand in a corner for what felt like hours while loud drunk people tripped over each other. I met some new people, but none I'd rather regularly spend lots of time with than the friends I currently spend lots of my decidedly finite time with and none who are single, even if you count the men. (I'm pretty sure they aren't my "type".)

So... I don't know why I'm going to the next one, now, nor why I'm still bothering to have vaguely hopeful thoughts related to the outcome of this thing.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:19 am

I think I felt better about The Winter Soldier than Age of Ultron.

I wonder how much of the efforts to get people to go to therapy actually work.

Feels like there's only one answer to "How are you?" or "Are you OK".

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:05 am

HermitTheToad wrote:Feels like there's only one answer to "How are you?" or "Are you OK".

Yeah. "Tired"/"All the better for you asking"/"Alright" or "I'm getting there" all have the 'I'm not doing so great, but it's not your problem and I don't want/need to talk about it' subtext (or in the case of 'tired' is a common enough complaint that can mask a multitude of things while still being true), but "I'm good thanks. You?" just seems to be ingrained.
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:35 am

Makes me think of those people who rocked up to Uni wearing yellow t-shirts for 'R U OK?' day to raise awareness for talking about your troubles when you're down or some shit.

I got asked if I was OK and was also offered a hug from some person in an animal suit. Right, like that's gonna do shit for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:00 am

Is a relationship (platonic or long term monogamous) only genuine and true if your friend(s)/partner knows everything about you? Is it ever acceptable to keep aspects about yourself hidden from your friends and family?

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:26 am

Being an adult = chili for breakfast.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:14 pm

I had a dream that I met someone from here in person. Can't remember who anymore, or even if it was an actual person or just someone I knew to be from here. But I seem to remember I showed them how to brush their teeth. (In a really weird way, too.)
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Hirundo Bos wrote:I had a dream that I met someone from here in person. Can't remember who anymore, or even if it was an actual person or just someone I knew to be from here. But I seem to remember I showed them how to brush their teeth. (In a really weird way, too.)

Had one of those once where it turned out Mad/bomaye was an alt account of BasedBuzzed. Suspect

Why do I still use Twitter, anyway?

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 31 Screen13
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:55 pm

waxingjaney wrote:Being an adult = chili for breakfast.

Breakfast of champions. Shiny/thrilled

Werel wrote:

Had one of those once where it turned out Mad/bomaye was an alt account of BasedBuzzed. Suspect

I'll be honest, I think twitter is the most pointless social media ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:23 pm

An accurate depiction of my current situation, except the "manuscript" in my case is a backstory for a superhero.
Robjection
Robjection

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 am

I think I finally can understand the appeal of cats after meeting my friend's cat. I'm still not a huge cat person (not least because I'm mildly allergic), but I get it now.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:21 am

The Mikey wrote:
waxingjaney wrote:Being an adult = chili for breakfast.

Breakfast of champions. Shiny/thrilled

Werel wrote:

I'll be honest, I think twitter is the most pointless social media ever.

The story behind this is absolutely hilarious: http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/feminists-ugly-twitter-hashtag-description/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:17 am

Robjection wrote:An accurate depiction of my current situation, except the "manuscript" in my case is a backstory for a superhero.

Before I followed the link, I thought it would lead to a superhero backstory that accurately depicted your situation.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:21 am

It seems like communities that are thoroughly dominated by one gender or the other (>90%) are almost always toxic about at least some gender issues.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:39 pm

Now that I'm on official Old White Dude, I am very disappointed with the Illuminati. It was my understanding that my membership package would arrive by mail on my 40th birthday. I would like to register a complaint! Sadly, I don't have their address.
Gentleman Johnny
Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:34 pm

Not to trivialize what's happening 100 miles from me, but its going to be weird seeing a baseball game tomorrow with completely empty stands.
WJMorris3
WJMorris3

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:56 am

Out of curiosity I googled my high school crush's name, and I find a blog. In reading it I've realized that I don't think we would have been compatible at all in hindsight. Feels weird...
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:47 am

Never trust an institution to be rational that cannot number the rooms in their buildings in a rational manner
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Spoiler:

Here goes nothin'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum