NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the Rants

+43
Werel
Glides
Hielario
Datelessman
bomaye
Yoshiland
eselle28
Enail
HSavinien
ElizaJane
Amygdala
Conreezy
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
Mara_
Izmuth
fakely mctest
Chickpea Sarada
Kiskadee
Barretts_Salt
waxingjaney
KitKat
BasedBuzzed
Xexyz
readertorider
CP96
jcorozza
InkAndComb
Aggrax
kath
Hirundo Bos
reboot
PintsizeBro
Caffeinated
reboundstudent
Robjection
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
sky
WJMorris3
BiSian
litterature
Wondering
Prajnaparamita
47 posters

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Go down

Return of the Rants - Page 9 Empty Re: Return of the Rants

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:32 am

Enail wrote:Suspect WTF?!

Xexyz wrote:
Inorite? It's like her rant started off going downhill and then careened off a cliff with that last bit.

I'm sorry you have to put up with that in addition to your injury, eselle. No

caliseivy wrote:
In response to eselle's rant: that's a new level of Nice Guy low.

reboot wrote:
Master level what not to do

litterature wrote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
outstanding

Thanks, guys. Sometimes just having someone to share the WHAT?!? with makes it better. There, there
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:39 am

caliseivy wrote:I f***ing hate my family sometimes.
CW:

I'm so sorry to hear about that. It sounds like some straight up bullshit, and it sucks to be in a position where you could have helped but circumstances make it so you don't even have a chance to. I'm hoping right now both that he's safe where he is and that things will change so that safety doesn't even need to be a primary concern. I'm also going to think good thoughts for the younger child and for all of the rest of you who have to put up with this. It sounds incredibly frustrating and painful.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Moving for the fifth time in two years is a shit experience. Shittier when it's a brutal downgrade to quality of life. I don't like my new apartment. It smells like other people's dogs' piss and there are fleas and I get woken up by people drinking beer outside my window. I don't want to live here. I want to go home to my real apartment and can't. I want to go home to Turtle Island and can't. I'm tired of how this city works.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Oh man, sorry the new place sucks (and 5 places in two years, holy shit)!

If you can't figure out where the dog piss smell is coming from after cleaning, check the radiators, when we moved into our current place, they were filled with cat piss-encrusted cat hair. Once we cleaned that out it turned into a nice, non-smelly apartment. I really hope it transforms into a better place and a real home soon.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:31 pm

The piss smell is coming from the unit next door, which has internal windows into our unit (don't even ask, architecture here is ad-hoc as fuck) which are covered with gappy plywood, so I guess we're doing the incense thing forever. Smells like I'm working on my goddamn Book of Shadows in here. I'll get used to it eventually, but ugh. Thanks for the commiseration, Enail.

edit: and also thanks, eselle. Helps to know I'm not crazy for feeling actual mourning for the place I loved.

Last edited by Werel on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Sad Maybe you can seal it off a little better or grow a few nice-smelling plants or something. Anyway, that sucks.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm so sorry, Werel. I've had the experience of mourning for an old, much-liked living space. It's bad enough when the new place is objectively fine, if not up to the standard set by the old one. It's even harder when the new one is subpar. Jedi hugs.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 pm

[warning: extremely petty, teenage-style drama amongst grown-ups]

My classmates have this IM group chat so that everyone stays in touch. I used it often, and I set for myself the goal to try to contribute to a friendly general atmosphere, so even though I'm actually kinda reserved, I thought we had achieved enough closeness that I could share stuff I'd share with my friends on the group. I also offered help with homework and stuff to everyone who needed it. I even imported the course materials from Japan. I kept going like this for 4 or 5 months.

A few weeks ago, I complained on this chat about a lecturer who seems to be a bit judgmental, and to unfairly judge people on a personal level. I was glad we all passed his course never to see him again, so I posted something like "good riddance mr name". A person who had previously been antagonistic to me whenever political or gender issues came up took offence. Then the class rep started to scold me in an extremely patronising tone about how I often post stuff people don't care about. That is fair enough, but I think it was uncalled for given the context - it seems like people had bottled up complaints to make and decided to voice them in a particularly inopportune moment. He also specifically mentioned stuff related to gender presentation - pictures of clothes and so on. I didn't particularly appreciate the fact that he used his position as class rep to talk about my personality as if he really was speaking from a place of authority.

Then the conservative person who had taken offence at my comment on our lecturer launched into a rant about how she deserves respect as a cis person and how she doesn't want to "look bad because of being cis or because of being initially weirded out by the idea of common restrooms" and that she respects my gender but that I should respect hers. She made oblique references to the Great Pronoun Debate and the Great Toilet Debate. I thought it'd be best not to start a huge fight, and I also thought that it'd be pointless to be part of a group where my class rep gets to choose what I can talk about to my close acquaintances, and where you can get away with stupid remarks about gender, so I dropped out from the group.

I was kind of disappointed, though, so I took a screenshot of the bits where she randomly started ranting about how my presence oppresses so her so much as a cis person, obscured the personal information, and posted them on Twitter, followed by a tweet where I called her and our class rep "morons".

Two days ago, someone found my Twitter profile, dug up the offending post and told everyone about it. A little gang of 3 people headed by the class rep started to post random Shakespeare quotes about cowardice and having the last laugh, informed me that I had no right to insult anyone and told me that it was creepy to post screenshots of IM convos. I told them to piss off and moved to a private account.

Today, after our lecture, and with the lecturer still in the classroom, Conservative Wonder dashed to the whiteboard, demanded everyone's attention and declared that she was about to "make a few remarks about the events that took place three weeks ago in our IM group". I stood up and left without saying anything, and while I was heading for the door, I heard her announcing that I, referred to as "this person", had "insulted her three times".

Seriously? You're not even 18 years old anymore. I'll turn 28 in two weeks. I shouldn't have to put up with this. But I'm worried that the general atmosphere is going to turn toxic. I'm also a bit disappointed that nobody seems to sympathise with me. Maybe I actually am an obnoxious person, but what does have to do with my gender? I just don't get it, and to be honest I find the whole thing rather upsetting. And besides, it's my right to hate your guts. I'm not actually hurting anyone, so please leave me alone.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:04 am

Jesus, litterature, I do not envy you that series of interactions. That sounds like a level of petty that's beyond the pale even for small college classes. And I'm sorry you felt like no one sympathized with you--that's always a blow.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Middle of November last year, the computer at work suddenly decides the copy of Windows on it is not genuine. Me being concerned about security and whatnot, I bring this up with my manager. The problem is discussed over the course of the week with ultimately nothing being done about it.

I change the antivirus' scheduled virus scan from weekly to daily to assuage my security concerns and I'm able to work as normal. Getting headphones in December helped improve my productivity until the day in January when I'm called over by a co-worker to answer his question and, in the process, I catch the cable of the headphones with my foot and ruin them. After spending about 20 minutes trying to fix them, I start having a meltdown in the office until my manager offers to lend me his headphones for the rest of the day. Then I get some new ones over the weekend and all is well.

Fast forward to not last Friday but the Friday before, a bit less than an hour after my belated 3-month review (which, as it turns out, had some good news about a potential raise in the future), when my director asks everyone to update their desktop backgrounds to this new version. I do so only for the desktop to change back to black half an hour later because of the computer still thinking that the Windows on it is a fake.

When the director comes round to check my computer's desktop, I point out this issue to him. He proceeds to take control and attempt to fix the problem. In the process, he accidentally upgrades to Windows 10, a process that takes so long that I have to go fetch his dry-cleaning while I wait for one of my co-workers to go home for the day so I can use their computer for the rest of the day.

Last week, the process for upgrading to Windows 10 was completed and, to my director's relief, there was nothing asking him to pay any money for it. The computer still doesn't recognise this copy of Windows as legitimate but at least it now displays a message over all the windows on the computer instead of forcing the desktop to go black, and I can work with this message.

Only trouble is, the graphics card in the computer isn't compatible with Windows 10, so while I'm able to use the computer, I'm down to just one monitor. Given how often I have to switch between the Firefox window with the product data I need and the Chrome window with the spreadsheet I need to put said product data into, this is a severe impediment to my productivity. The director and I find a new suitable graphics card, which arrived yesterday.

This morning, my director installed it - I should point out that I know diddly-squat about computer hardware. And it all went downhill from there.

While I'm not sure about the details (something involving a dead battery and unusual hard drive setup), it takes about an hour to get my computer working. But it has two active monitors now, so I'm able to do work ... for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then one of the monitors suddenly switches off. I look and I notice it is smoking! After hastily switching the computer off and disposing of the smoking monitor, the director decides that, because he can't tell whether it was just a faulty monitor or if installing the new graphics card turned the computer into a deathtrap, I was to work on a computer used by a previous employee that a) ran Windows Shitsta, b) wouldn't let me log on as a new user so I had to use the former employee's login details, and c) had a broken headphone jack. It wasn't until about half an hour after my lunch break that I found a way of getting my headphones to work with this computer and the solution I came up with was so convoluted I could see it appearing in a point-and-click adventure game.

All this for the sake of a fucking desktop background.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:26 pm

Back to the ranks of the unemployed again.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Ugh, fuck, I'm so sorry eselle. That's terrible. Sad
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:29 pm

Oh, that sucks, Eselle. Hope it turns out to be a short and relatively painless one, financially and otherwise.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:36 pm

Oh, man, I'm soo sorry.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:21 pm

I'm sorry, esselle :/

I caught tinnitus D:
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Dear free font website,
I thought the worst you were going to make me deal with was incomplete character sets and bad kerning. Why do you have multiple fonts made of crudely drawn penises and explicitly naked women? And furthermore why are they all categorized as "fancy" and "decorative"? I understand that a category titled "crude and in poor taste" might not project the image you are going for, but would it kill you to at least not mix this junk in with the regular fonts? Yuck.
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 am

It is going to take me a while to recover from a week of child protective services advisory coalition. Thought I had developed a nice hard protective shell. Not hard enough. Some truly terrible shit out there.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:23 pm

I don't think I could handle CPS advisory work. Commendations and Jedi hugs for your bravery. Take care of yourself after being steeped in all that human horror.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Tired of being told, both implicitly and explicitly, that as a feminist, and especially one in my age group, I must support Hillary Clinton or there's something wrong with/suspect about me.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:01 pm

The transmission on my Jeep is shot. Got blown to hell on Saturday and today I just got into my dads shop. Thank the lord my dad is a fucking awesome auto tech, too bad it's still $500ish~ to rebuild the damn thing. :/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:33 pm

You know that expression "I'd rather have no friends than fake friends"?

Try it. Actually try it. I fucking dare you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Bad haircuts: lousy. Bad haircuts that lop off like 7" of your hair and will take a long time to grow out: lousier. Bad haircuts when you're having a phase where you already feel crappy about your appearance and clothing: the lousiest.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 pm

Oh, no, Werel! I'm so sorry!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Jedi hugs, Werel.

We need to redo a significant portion of our upstairs bathroom. Everything on the floor and under it which will include asbestos abatement.*
We need to have the exterior of our house painted, and possibly some siding replaced because it's in sorry sorry shape.

My income used to be the one that paid for projects. My income is currently not capable of that, and these are major, expensive projects.

*Pro-tip: If you weren't aware, like I wasn't, asbestos is not just found in popcorn ceilings. It was also formerly used in linoleum/vinyl flooring adhesive. Also, in furnace and ducting tape.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:32 pm

So what prompted the thoughts I've been having about being there for others in a chrisis is that my sister had some pretty bad pains the other day that turned out to be a ruptured appendix. And she'd had surgery and is doing quite well, and all of this is pretty routine, and other family members were on the spot so I haven't been very directly involved myself, but it's still... well, I'm not quite in touch with my emotions about it but it is, you know, a thing.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum